Hey, Everyone, I am Prakash Mishra, I would like to tell you all the information regarding the R language. Definition of the R language, its origin, fun facts about r language, its features, R packages. It’s wide usage in Data Science and statistical software. R v/s Python for Data Science, Future and which companies are using R language and what should be the income of the developers, and many more things?
Following are things you will get in this article:
- What Is the R language?
- Features of R language.
- What are good platforms for learning R?
- Is it good to learn R for Data Science?
- Python V/s R for Data Science
- What are the career opportunities?
- Companies are using the language as the elemental language.
1. What is the R language?
R language is an open-source statistical programming language that is basically designed for statistical computing, data analysis, graphical representation of data, and many more things.
It is one of the most popular languages that statisticians use to retrieve, clean, analyzing, visualizing, and represent data.
What is Statistical Programming?
Statistical Programming refers to the technique that helps in analyzing the data very well. statistical programming packages provide you with statistical and graphical technique to
Basically, it was designed by Ross Ihaka and Robert Gentlemen at the University of Auckland, New Zealand. And now the R Development Core Team handles all the development of the R language. R language is the implementation of the S language combined with lexical scoping semantics inspired by Scheme.
S is a statistical programming language developed by John Chambers, Rick Becker, and Allan Wilks of Bell Laboratories. The main motive of the language is “to turn ideas into software, quickly and faithfully.”
- The reason for putting the language name R is because of its two authors whose name starts with R, R for Ross and R for Robert.
2. According to PYPL Popularity of Programming Language, R is in the 7 of all programming languages.
2.Features of the R language:
- R language is an open-source language which implies that you can easily download it from the internet free of cost. R issued under the license of the General Public License(GNU). Which signifies there is no restriction of using language even you can modify the package by adding your own code.
- It is an Interpreted language which indicates that the language does not need any compiler to execute its code and also saves time.
- It is both procedural programming and object-oriented programming.
- There are more than 10,000 packages are available at the Comprehensive R Archive Network (CRAN) which helps you to write your code in just a single, which is amazing.
These are some features:
- R language is widely used in all platforms like Windows, Linux, and macOS which implies that it is platform-independent. One of the most amazing features of the R language is cross-platform so that it can be applied to all the operating systems.
- The language has very powerful community support( approx 2 million). Programmers share their ideas and experience to all the platforms regarding the language. So that they can help the language by adding valuable things. this will help other programmers to get a clear view and can solve their bugs in a very short period of time.
- R language is widely used in Data Science, Machine Learning, Statistical computing, and many more places.
- The language has gained plenty of popularity in the tech giants companies for more dependable development especially it is widely used for Data Science.
3.What are good platforms for learning R?
There are a bunch of platforms where you can begin learning the R language and become a skilled developer who has a pretty good knowledge of the language. There are plenty of genuine YouTubers and amazing websites are there who are doing an amazing job to make a full course on R language Free of cost.
1. freeCodeCamp.org: This is an amazing YouTube account that I have found for learning the language in just 2 hours, that is amazing. Your basic concepts will be cleared very well. You will get all the knowledge about the R language and many more things. Not only this language if you are interested in learning data science, SQL, Ethical hacking, Another programming language you can refer to this Youtube Account.
2.datacamp: This is a superb website for learning any language. It ensures you that they will teach you right from basics to advanced level topics in a very easy. And you also check out their reviews they are really satisfied with the course.
3.GeekForGeeks: All-time favorite of all the programmers. It provides you outstanding concepts with a lot of examples to understand instantly and you can get practice questions for exercise.
4. TutorialsPoint: It provides you a complete course by covers all the concepts in a pretty great way.
Click here– https://www.tutorialspoint.com/r/
5. Statistics and R: An introduction to basic statistical concepts and R programming skills necessary for analyzing data in the life sciences.
Click here– https://www.edx.org/course/statistics-and-r
Some paid courses:
6. Coursera: Basically, In this course, you will learn how to write programs in R language and how to use R for data analysis.
4. Is it good to learn R for Data Science?
Along with python R language is widely used in Data Science. Before we discuss how it is used in data science. Let’s talk about how R language is widely used in Machine Learning. The language provides a lot of packages and techniques which help to improve your ML projects and you can also easily implement ML algorithms. Now let’s talk about Data Science in the R language.
According to Google, R is the most-used Data Science language after SQL. It is used by 70% of data miners. And it is growing faster than any other data science language. R language is the rank #1 Google Search for Advanced Analytics software.
5. R v/s Python
Now Python is also widely used in Data Science because of the amazing features Python. So let’s compare R and Python language For Data Science.
- Ease of learning- R is quite difficult to understand in the beginning as compared to Python language. People who don’t have any experience of any programming language feel very difficult to understand. But once you started understanding the language it’s not that much hard.
- Speed– Python is a high-level language because of its high speed it is used in the development of fast applications such as web applications. Python can easily handle complex code because of its speed. Whereas R is a low-level language, it does not use in creating any applications. It can’t handle complex code easily.
- Packages– R provides you more libraries and packages than Python. R has more than 10,000 packages in CRAN like tidyverse, ggplot2, caret, zoo which covers all the advanced techniques for statistical work, etc… On the other hand, Python provides you simple packages such as statsmodels, pandas, scipy, scikit-learn, TensorFlow, caret which covers simple techniques.
- Functionalities– R was created by the statisticians and the idea behind is to make data analysis easier. So R has a lot of inbuilt functionalities which Python doesn’t have. Python provides you in the form of packages like NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib, Tensorflow, and many more.
These are some comparison:
- Data Visualization– R language has very popular packages for data visualization as compared to Python. R language has a very popular ggplot2, ggvis, lattice, etc. packages for the graphical purpose, and it’s very easy to understand. Now Python also has wonderful visualization packages like Seabourn but they can’t compete with the R packages.
- Deep Learning– Python is far better than the R in Deep learning. It is a versatile language and provides you more features like Lasagne, Caffe, Keras, Mxnet, OpenNMS, Tensor flow, etc… Recently R added a new API called Keras and KERASR which are written in Python.
- Percentage Switching– If we see this image then we clearly say that Percentage Switching from R to Python is more than Python to R language. Python developers are very loyal to their language.
- Popularity- According to Google Python language is the most widely used in Data Science.
So now it totally depends upon you which language is suitable for your requirement, how much time and interest you can give to that language. If you are thinking to start your journey as a Data Scientist or something related to data then there is no doubt that both languages are amazing to adopt. But if you just want to learn any language then Python will be perfect because it is beginner-friendly and you can easily catch up on all the things.
6. Career Opportunity
Mostly every programmer who is learning any programming language either it is R or something other having a question that whether there are any career opportunities, is there any future or is there any scope of learning the language. So here I am telling all the career opportunities, salaries of Programmer and which companies are using in a pretty large way.
Following are the list of various fields where you can make your career:
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
- Data Visualization Expert.
Not only in the IT sector R language is also in demand in other industries such as Banks, Government departments, Financial Sectors, Healthcare, Academics, Social Media, E-commerce, Public Welfare, etc…
In India, the average salary of an R programmer is between 6 to 12 lakh depends upon which profession you have chosen( whether you have chosen Data science or Data Analyst or something else) and also depends upon your skills and experience.
7. Companies are using the language as the elemental language
Companies are using the R language for various purposes such as Facebook use for analyzing the status of users, google use to calculate the ROI of advertising campaigns, and many more. Following are a list of all the companies name.
- R language is an open-source statistical programming language that is basically designed for use in statistical computing, data analysis, graphical representation of data, and many more things.
- The reason for putting the language name R is because of its two authors whose name starts with R. R is in the 7 ranks of all the programming languages.
- Some significant features of the language are open-source language, Interpreted language, more than 10,000 packages, and many more.
- There are a bunch of platforms where you can begin learning the R language and become a skilled developer like GeekForGeeks, datacamp, etc…
- R language is widely used for Data Science, and I have made a comparison between Python and R language on the basis of their features.
- And lastly career opportunities, You can become a Data Analyst, Data Scientist, and many more things. Also, tech companies are using the language widely for more solid progress.
I hope you liked the article if yes then share it with your programmer friend as well as other friends. If this article helps you then comment on which things you liked and if you are an R programmer then share your thought regarding the language. And lastly, if you want to learn something else related to the language then comment down I will try my best to add to the article.