Hey, Everyone, I am Prakash Mishra, I would like to tell you all the information regarding the Swift language which is the central language of Apple Developer for producing apps for iOS, macOS, watchOS, tvOS devices. You know that 57% of the apps are built by Swift language that is astounding.
Are you interested to learn the Swift language and become an iOS Developer for Apple Inc.? so this article is totally for you in which I have covered all the kinds of stuff related to the language such as Definitions, origin, features, some good platforms to learn the language, and even more things.
Following are the topics which we will discuss in this article:
- What is the Swift programming language?
- The latest version of Swift language.
- Features of the language.
- What are the Good platforms to learn Swift?
- Why you have to learn the Swift language?
- Future of ios development.
- Why Swift replaces Objective-C?
- Companies are using the Swift language.
1. What is the Swift programming language?
Swift language is a relatively new language that was announced by the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in 2014 as a whole new language for the Apple developers and it totally changed the scenario.
It is an Object-oriented, general-purpose programming language that was developed by Apple WWDC in 2014. Swift is widely used for the development of applications in iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. It works with Apple’s Cocoa and Cocoa Touch frameworks.
Basically, Swift is designed to add some modern features which Objective-C programming language. It is Apple’s earlier programming language which is not changed from the last 30 years. So it’s a replaceable language of Objective-C which is lacking from the amazing features.
Swift language is developed by Chris Lattner and the Apple company developers. In June 2014 WWDC introduced the world to the first version of the language which is Swift 1.0. Then it is evolved a lot from Swift 1.0 to Swift 1.1, Swift 1.2, Swift 2.0, and many more versions. The main reason for developing the language is to replace Objective-C language because the language is lacking from the modern language features and can’t resolve problems faced by the developers. Finally, on December 15, They thought that why not make the language open-source so the Swift language becomes an open-source language under the Apache 2.0 license for the Apple and Linux based system.
2. Latest Version of Swift language
Right now we are using Swift 5.3 with XCode 12.3. XCode is Apple’s integrated development environment(IDE) used to develop software for iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS.
3. Features of the language
- Swift Playground:- This is the topmost feature of the language. Swift provides you a playground where you can easily check your ideas or experiments by writing your code and check whether it is working properly or not. If it is working perfectly then you are on the right path but if it is not working then you have a very clear view that “oh my code is totally wrong whatever I will write in my code that will be totally wrong”. So you can efficiently save your time.
- Readability:- The language is concise in nature which implies that you can comfortably perform any task in a pretty confined line of code. It’s an extremely straightforward language to learn which gives a very simple syntax to understand the language.
- Compiled time language:- It is a compiled time language which implies that the language can easily find bugs at the compile-time, not in the run time. By these, you can easily fix your bugs before your apps crashed that definitely saves your time. And Swift language is very strict for the safety purpose.
- Swift provides you optional type variable:- This is one of the amazing features of the language. Basically what happens is before this feature if a variable value found null then your app crashes. To overcome this situation they added this feature. Your IDE XCode simply ignores that variable and helps you not to crash your app. That is insane.
- Protocol-oriented language:- It is a protocol language that indicates that you can easily inherit value type from protocols but in OOP inheritance cannot be applied to the value type.
- It provides you type inference which enables keeping your code shorter, simple, and clean.
Some more features
- It’s a very fast language as it is replaceable for C-based language(C, C++, and Objective-C), and it’s quite faster than other languages.
- It provides you Functional programming patterns, closure support, generics, memory management.
Now we will talk about advantages and disadvantages of Swift language:
- Easy to learn, expressive, extremely safe, and fast language.
- Provides you a Swift Playground.
- Interoperable with Objective-C.
- Automatic memory management.
- Highly used in developing applications in iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS.
- Language is still young.
- Fewer programmers are there as compared to other languages.
- Doesn’t have that much community support.
- IDEs and third-party tools interoperability is missing.
- Very limited libraries are present.
4.What are the Good platforms to learn Swift?
There are a bunch of platforms where you can begin learning the Swift language and become a skilled Apple developer who has a pretty good knowledge of the language. There are plenty of genuine YouTubers and amazing websites are there who are doing an amazing job to make a full course on the language Free of cost.
Following is the list of all the YouTubers account, some useful articles, and some well-paid courses which are available to learn Swift.
- CodeWithChris-: This is an amazing YouTube account that I have found for learning the language in just 3.5 hours, that is amazing. They started right from basic concepts such as variables, data type, If and Switch Statements, loops, functions, classes, etc. will be cleared very well. You will get all the knowledge about the language and many more things.
2. freeCodeCamp.org:- This is also a YouTube video which made a full course for beginners to learn the language in 3 hours. It reaches all the concepts really properly.
3. Swift Documentation:- Learning the language from its own official site of Swift is just amazing. It provides a full tour of the language and they tried to cover all the concepts.
4. w3Schools:- Starting with the overview of the language and then covers all the concepts with the help of examples and all these things free.
5. Introduction To Programming in Swift 5:- In this course, they will start with the basic concepts of the language. They will teach you how to work with data such as integers and strings, and many more things are there.
6. iOS & Swift – The Complete iOS App Development Bootcamp:- By learning from this course you can easily build any app and start your business. You can work with the latest frameworks. You can easily build an app that uses machine learning and many more things.
5. Why you have to learn the Swift language?
As I have already told you that the language is widely used for creating mobile applications in iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. It is an extremely beginner-friendly language that expresses that beginners can comfortably start their journey with the Swift language and can make amazing applications like apps faster and very soon you can become an app developer.
According to Reddit, 57% of the apps are built by Swift language that is astounding.
Now let’s talk about which popular apps are using the language as the intermediate language. Facebook uses the language for making connections with your family and friends. Uber which uses to book a ride right from your home and many more apps.
Following is the list of top popular apps:
- Khan Academy
- Instagram, and many more apps.
6. Future of iOS development.
Mostly all the companies and startup which are designing mobile app applications consider Swift language as the necessary language for building apps for iOS, macOS, watchOS, tvOS devices. Since the Swift language launch, the language becomes the first priority of app development. It is very easy to read and learn, concise in nature, and provides you modern features for making apps. Whether you want to build any applications right from scratch the language is the comparatively best language. swift is the Future of iOS development and remains for a long time.
7. Swift v/s Objective-C
In 2014 Apple launches a new language Swift language for iOS development, which is the alternate of Objective-C language. Within a span of time, it achieves so much popularity because of its features and eases to use. And from that, it replaces the Objective-C language and becomes one of the most desirable languages for iOS app development.
Now we will discuss what are the marvelous features Swift language have which Objective-C language is lagging behind Swift:
- Swift syntax is very clear and easy to understand while Objective-c is a very old language and doesn’t have easy syntax.
- It is a faster and safe language than Objective-C language.
- Memory management of Swift language is better than Objective-c.
- The compiler of Swift is better than Objective-C.
- Swift is an open-source language while Objective-C is not.
- Swift provides you more dynamic and advanced libraries than Objective-C.
8. Career Opportunity
Basically, every programmer thinks that is there any career opportunities by learning the Swift language. So yes Apple is not going anywhere for at least some years. Apple company is growing really quick and competing with android phones. Apple is hiring an iOS developer every year in a very huge amount(more than any other job) so you can become an iOS developer. Amazon and Google are also very interested in hiring an iOS developer.
Following are the companies which choosing iOS developers:
- Microsoft Corporation
- Telecom companies, and many many more companies.
- Swift language is a relatively new language that was announced by the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in 2014.
- It is an Object-oriented, general-purpose programming language that was developed by Apple WWDC in 2014.
- The main reason for developing the language is to replace Objective-C language because the language is lacking from the modern language features and can’t resolve problems faced by the developers.
- Swift language provides you a lot of features like easy to use and learn, faster, safer language. Provides you Swift Playground, optional type variable, Protocol-oriented language, and many more features are there.
- Swift is an extremely beginner-friendly language which expresses that beginners can comfortably start their journey with the Swift language and can make amazing applications.
- Since the Swift language launch, the language becomes the first priority of app development.
1. Is swift a good language to learn?
Ans:- It is an extremely beginner-friendly language that expresses that beginners can comfortably start their journey with the language. And It provides you a lot of advanced features than Objective-C to build amazing apps.
2. What is Swift used for?
Ans:- Since the Swift language launch, the language becomes the first priority of iOS app development. The language is widely used for creating mobile applications in iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS.
3. What is the current version of swift?
Ans:- Right now we are using Swift 5.3 with XCode 12.3. XCode is Apple’s integrated development environment(IDE).
4. Is Swift worth learning?
Ans:- Learning Swift is very significant in 2021 because Apple is hiring an iOS developer every year in a very huge amount(more than any other job) so you can become an iOS developer.
I hope you liked the article if yes then share it with your programmer friend as well as other friends. If this article helps you then comment on which things you liked and if you are a Swift programmer then share your thought regarding the language. And lastly, if you want to learn something else related to the language then comment down I will try my best to add to the article.