Hey, Everyone, I am Prakash Mishra, I would like to tell you all the astonishing information regarding the Scala language that is one of the most popular languages in the world. Scala language is a very powerful language and millions of people are using Scala language.
Are you interested to learn the scala language and want to get all the information regarding the language?. So this article is totally for you in which I have covered all the kinds of stuff related to the language. Such as Definitions, history/origin, features, some good platforms to learn the language, and even more things.
Following are the topics which we will discuss in this article:
- What is the Scala programming language?
- The latest version of Scala language.
- What is High-Level Language?
- Features of the language.
- What are the Good platforms to learn Scala?
- Why you have to learn the Scala language?
- Is there any career opportunity?
- Companies are using the Scala language.
- Q/A related to the language.
1. What is the Scala programming language?
Scala is a high-level, general-purpose programming language that supports both object-oriented language and functional language. Its a highly interoperable with Java language that signifies you can directly use the libraries, frameworks of either programming language(Scala or Java) in your Scala or Java code. The most powerful topic is Scala language runs on Java Virtual Machine(JVM). Firstly, the scala program converts into Java bytecode and then the code runs on JVM.
Scala is a portmanteau of Scalable and Language. This indicates that the language is very friendly with the programmers. And designed in such a way that it grows with the demand of its users.
Scala official Website link:- https://www.scala-lang.org/
Scala was designed by Martin Odersky in 2001 at École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland. They started to design the language in 2001. Finally, in 2004 Scala’s first version was publically released on the Java platform. Soon after 2 years of releasing the second version is presented to the users.
2. The latest version of Scala language.
If we talked about the version of the language then Scala is evolved a lot. From Scala 1.0.0, 1.1.1, 1.2.0 to Scala 2.13.4 version. Undoubtedly Scala developers always try to keep the language up-to-date by adding all the necessary features which help all the developers to get all the benefits of the language. In the year 2021, we are using Scala 2.13.4.
- At the JavaOne conference in 2012, Scala was awarded as the winner of the Script Bowl contest.
- Scala Selected ACM SIGPLAN’s 2019 Programming Languages Software Award Winner.
Let’s talk about what does it mean High-Level and OOP and Functional language?
There are two types of programming language types which are High-level and low-level language. We are using high-level language because of its wonderful features such as programmers friendly language, easy to understand, simple to debug, easy to maintain, can run on any platform, and easily compile the language. Eg. High-level languages are C, C++, Java, Python, etc… Low-level language is machine language. The machine can understand very well. Nowadays we are not using low level because of its disadvantages.
OOP language and Functional languages are the types of programming languages. In object-oriented programming data is stored in objects and in Functional programming data cannot be stored in objects. We can be transformed by creating functions.
3. Features of the language.
- Scala is a very easy, simple language that provides you far better syntax than the Java language. It contains all the amazing features of the most popular language such as Java, C, C++ that makes the language more reliable, scalable, and productive.
- Scala supports both object-oriented programming and functional programming. Every value in Scala is treated as an object. And every function is a value and it is treated as an object. It also supports high order functions, nested functions, currying, etc.
- Its a highly interoperable with Java language that signifies you can directly use the libraries, frameworks of either programming language(Scala or Java) in your Scala or Java code.
- Runs on JVM Machine:- Scala source code compiles to Java bytecode so that it can easily execute on Java Virtual Machine(JVM). Both Scala and Java are capable of executing in other JDK that indicated that Java JDK can Easily be used in Scala and vice-versa.
- Type Interference:- This is one of the best features of Scala language that surely help the programmers further. You don’t have to mention the Data type and function return type explicitly that is marvelous. It is fascinating as well as smart which can detect the type of variable which other popular language doesn’t have.
3.1 Some more Features
- Scala is a statically typed language that implies that the variable is known as the compile-time which helps to solve the bugs faster. And Scala supports both static type systems and dynamic interference.
- Remarkable Frameworks:- There are some popular frameworks that are doing amazing work in their fields. Like Spark, Apache Kafka, Apache Flink, play, Akka, and many more. The spark is widely used in Data applications.
- Community support:- Having amazing Community support always helps the language to grow more, gains some popularity, adds some millions of most helpful programmers, and becomes a powerful language. Scala has very amazing community support.
- Scala Language is widely used in Big data, Web applications, Desktop applications, and streaming. Many lumps companies are using the language.
- It also provides you immutability, high order functions, currying, pattern matching, etc…
- Scala language is Lazy evaluations that help to save time and memory usage.
IDE’s which are used for Scala language
- VS Code
- Sublime Text
- Intelli J
- Scala IDE
For downloading these IDE’s I have made another article in which I have already told you in-depth how to download.
4. What are the Good platforms to learn Scala?
1. Scala Documentation:- What’s better to learn the Scala language from its official documentation. They started right from basic syntax and how to download it and gradually moves to advanced topics. You will easily start writing code within a minute and there is no prerequisite while learning the language.
2. TutorialsPoint:- Basically, It’s a straightforward website that covers all the concepts very well. Right from basics to advanced level topics. It is interoperable with the Java language so If you have knowledge of Java then well and good.
3. GeekForGeeks:– One of the mistresses of all the programmers. It gives you outstanding concepts with a lot of examples also to understand instantly and you can get practice questions for exercise. Not only Scala you will get everything related to any programming languages.
4. IntelliPaat:- This Scala tutorial will help you learn programming language which is a promising language in big data analytics. Through this tutorial, you will learn Scala installation, basic data types, Scala operators, arrays, strings, collections, classes, objects, functions, regular exceptions, exception handling, and more. Learn Scala from Intellipaat Scala training and fast-track your career.
5. allaboutscala:- they provide a complete beginner’s tutorial to help you learn Scala in small, simple, and easy steps.
Some Paid Courses:-
1. Apache Spark with Scala –
This tutorial helps you to provide an Apache Spark tutorial with 20 plus examples of analyzing large data sets, on your desktop or on Hadoop with Scala. This is the greatest seller lecture on Udemy. It doesn’t require any prerequisite to learn the language just you have a basic knowledge of languages.
2. Scala & Functional Programming for Beginners:-
Basically to become a professional Scala programmer and get all the skills then you need to work with Spark, Akka, and any Scala framework!
3. Functional Programming Principles in Scala:-
In this course, you will discover the elements of the functional programming style and learn how to apply them usefully in your daily programming tasks. You will also develop a solid foundation for reasoning about functional programs, by touching upon proofs of invariants and the tracing of execution symbolically.
5. Why you have to learn the Scala language?
Now mostly newbies having a question that why I have to learn the language, Is it important for Java developers to learn Scala. So let’s clear all the points. Scala which becoming a popular and emerging language in the future. The language is interoperable with the Java language. It has some amazing features from which the Java language is lagging. And in the future, it definitely becomes one of the most powerful alternative languages of Java. Scala supports both object-oriented programming and functional programming which helps the programmer to write code much faster. The language runs on a JVM machine. It provides you amazing features that other languages don’t have.
6. Is Scala is an alternative language to Java in the future???
Java language, one of the most popular languages in the world but still has some bugs. As we all know that Java is similar to the Scala language and both runs on the same platform. Now, let’s compare both that language why Scala is an alternating of Java in the future. Scala merges all the amazing features of Java and still added some more features which Java language doesn’t have.
Java is an object-oriented language and it does not provide functional programming but Scala provides you both oop and functional programming. In java, if you want to develop any applications then you have to write more code than Scala so it helps you in verbosity. Scala supports operator overloading and lazy evaluation whereas Java doesn’t. But Scala is still had doesn’t have some features which make the language compatible to use alternative way. But Scala developers work on those features to add in upcoming versions then definitely Scala will become an alternative language of Java.
7. Is there any career opportunity?
Presently companies are hiring Scala developers in a large approach depends upon their talent. There is an abundance of jobs that are there while learning the language. Surely It’s a highly prominent moment to learn the language. So you have plenty of jobs you can easily choose any one of them. Now let’s talk about salary, so it depends on the demand of the language and your experience. According to Google, the average salary of the Scala developer is 23.1 Lakhs per annum. And one more thing is you can also do Freelancing. Following is the list of career:-
- Software engineer
- Senior Software Engineer
- Software Developer
- Application Developer
- IT consultant
8. Companies are using the Scala language.
Most IT Companies are using the Scala language as the dominant language for Big data, Web applications, Desktop applications, and streaming, because of its engaging features. It is simple and easy to use and Scala developers are in an immense request that’s why companies are using Scala in building up. following are the companies that are using Scala language:
- Scala is a high-level, general-purpose programming language that supports both object-oriented language and functional language.
- Its a highly interoperable with the Java language. The most powerful topic is Scala language runs on Java Virtual Machine(JVM).
- Scala was designed by Martin Odersky in 2001 at École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland. In the year 2021, we are using Scala 2.13.4.
- Scala language provides you a lot of features like functional programming, easy to use, type interference, static typing, frameworks, and many more.
- Scala has some amazing features from which the Java language is lagging. And in the future, it definitely becomes one of the most powerful alternative languages of Java.
- According to Google, the average salary of the Scala developer is 23.1 Lakhs per annum.
I hope you liked the article if yes then share it with your programmer friend as well as other friends. If this article helps you then comment on which things you liked and if you are a Scala programmer then share your thought regarding the language. And lastly, if you want to learn something else related to the language then comment down I will try my best to add to the article.
- 7 Powerful ways to achieve the Swift language.
- Why C# Language Is The Groundwork To Enhance Powerful Appl.?
- 7 Powerful ways to achieve the Swift language.
- Structuring GO Language With Origin, Features, And Platforms Related to it.
- UNTYING KOTLIN|JAVA OR KOTLIN WHICH IS BETTER FOR ANDROID DEVELOPMENT.
- THE 7 BEST C PROGRAMMING BOOKS FOR EVERY CODER IN 2020
- TOP 7 MOVIES EVERY PROGRAMMER MUST WATCH